This is my world of cycling and just a fun way for me to share my experiences, thoughts and joy I have for cycling. Thanks for visiting Cycle Jabber and good luck in your training! Dirk Friel

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sunshine Hill Climb

It is that time of year again for the Sunshine Hill Climb. This Boulder bike race is a killer category 1 climb that ends with about four miles of steeeep and deeeep dirt! Yep you got it. Not only is this a 3,000ft climb in 8 miles, but you also have to ride it with some solid tires to help prevent pinch flats and gain traction.

I usually get dropped from the front group within about 2k of the start and then slog it out hoping the fields that started behind me don't catch me before the finish. I can't say I've always succeeded. Oh well, I'll give cerdit wher credit is due. There are some fast mountain goats in the masters and cat. 4 categories.
The screen shot I posted here can also be viewed in detail by clicking here. This was a file of mine from a training ride this past November with Michael Barry. We did this on our cross bikes and instead of dirt we were climbing on snow and ice.

For race details see the race flyer at http://www.americancycling.org/racing/ef/june/sunshine.pdf

posted by Dirk at 2:14 PM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so freaking cool with the overlay of the map. I have not seen the Training Peaks output before. Tell me, you work with the Pros and there are "studies" of training with power for the up and coming, what about the old guys? Any trainging with power or Training Peaks research / Coaches that specialize on the old guys? The 40+, 9to5er is the fastest growing segment in cycling. There were 160-180 35+ riders at WoT and Hugo. Any Training with Power advice for over the hillers?

Your neighbor.

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Dirk said...

The same concepts apply for masters riders too. In general a power meter makes training more objective and more effective by taking a lot of the guess work out of the planning and analysis.

Matching your training to your goals and limiters is the key and a power meter can help you do this with more accuracy. There is plenty to read about if you wnat more information at http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/

10:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home