This is my world of cycling and just a fun way for me to share my experiences, thoughts and joy I have for cycling. Thanks for visiting Cycle Jabber and good luck in your training! Dirk Friel

Saturday, December 20, 2008

BRRRRRrrrrrrrr Cold Cyclocross Ride

Today wasn't much fun but I forged on since this week was so nasty here in Boulder. I've been itching to get out and ride my bike outside for a week. The forecast was 22F for a Hi today but the wind chill made it feel like sub-zero no doubt.

The Route:
6,800ft of climbing today, Headed up Sunshine and over to Four Mile Canyon, then up to Wall Street. Back down to town and north to Hygiene and finally over Left Hand and Lee Hill.


Click the above map to view the interactive map and ride data.

This is the ghost town of Wall Street, CO.


The Rig:
Cannondale CX bike with Hutchinson Tubeless tires. The front tire is a Piranha and the rear is a Bulldog. I hav eto say I love these tires especially on snow with low pressure. Tubeless is the way to go for sure.


The Fuel
I consumed 1300 calories and still bonked 4.5hrs into the ride. All I can say is I rode with a low heart rate (130 most of the time) but the cold temps just took it out of me. I started with the Clif Shot recovery hot chocolate packs and just stopped by gas stations to fill up with free hot water and added the fuel packs to the H2O. This was for sure the best part of the ride. Nothing like drinking hot chocolate in a water bottle when you are fending off the bonk.

There is no way I take this again tomorrow. Time to go ski with the kids and have some real fun.

Ciao
Dirk

PS sign up for my Twitter: http://twitter.com/DirkFriel

posted by Dirk at 3:23 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home